Monday, August 4, 2008

Thoughts on Preppiness... with Citations!

Admittedly, I’m a very preppy guy. My closet consists of basically the entire color spectrum of polos and four pairs of pants. Still, somebody told me recently that I have a “preppy face.” I’m mostly sure that it was meant as a compliment, but it would also be a pretty thinly disguised way to tell someone that they are a smug prick. "Preppy face..." what does that even mean? I hardly look patrician. If I was forced to guess, I would say that it means I look like every other frat guy that ever existed, slightly unkempt with an overpowering sense of entitlement for no good reason.

Anyway, I like the preppy look. It suits me… mostly. My biggest preppy shortcoming is that I could never pop my collar. I would like to be able to say that the reason is because popping collars is for hose-bags. (I’m pretty sure there is a hyphen in hose-bags.) But really it’s a lack of neck issue; my head merges seamlessly with my chest.[1] A pop collar attempt and a little starch would have probably result in the loss of an ear.

If for some reason I had to abandon team Brooks Brothers I think I would be ironic t-shirt guy. Plenty of upside to that look: dark rimmed glasses, poorly considered facial hair, girls that look like Lisa Loeb.[2] Downside too though; I think they make you wear tight pants. Speaking of which I think my favorite product of the emo movement (besides the emasculating yet extremely enjoyable music) is the fat emo kid. This guy is a comedic goldmine. Stuffing yourself into size four girl’s jeans and layering on the mascara is even more non-conformist when you weigh 200 pounds. This is probably the only sub-specie of emo kid who has a legitimate reason to be melancholy.

For now I guess I’ll stick to the preppy look. Maybe get myself a madras sport coat and some salmon colored pants. That’s a look I can understand. Basically the goal is just to look as much as possible like an Easter egg while keeping a straight face. Whoever can wear a pink bow tie, yellow pants and suspenders without laughing wins. I’m not there yet, but these things take time. You have to build up a tolerance.[3]

I freakin’ love using footnote for evil. Go team WASP!!!


[1] Much like a tyrannosaur. Between that and the short arms I think that the T-Rex is probably the animal that I relate to most. At least he was the king of the dinosaurs. Some people are gazelles. Some are apes. I’m an extinct bird/lizard.

[2] I’m bizarrely attracted to this look. Can’t explain it. Makes me want to buy them hello kitty stuff and pretend to like their poetry.

[3] Like Iocaine Powder. What you do not smell!

4 comments:

Early Adopter said...

I couldn't resist.... (classic double think)
-----------
Vizzini: Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: Wait til I get going!
Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.

Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're just stalling now.

Unknown said...

You should do an entry on what type of blogs come up when you hit next blog in the top of the screen. Some good stuff in there.

evan said...

Well thought out. Wouldn't have been the same without the citations. My blog is humbled by the awesomeness of yours, if only you shared more of your life...

SLT said...

I dont know what you look like, or who you are, but in my experience, preppy face is not bad.